Sometimes your beloved canine or feline can develop the habit of chewing electrical power cords. Besides being an obnoxious quirk, any gnawed power cord can pose a shock hazard to your pets or family.
Inlightech provides some useful tips on how to keep your pets from chewing power cords.
Why Do Canines and Felines Chew Power Cords?
Although the motivations of the four-legged pals’ mind for chewing cords are not fully understood, there are a few theories about this. A Feline might find a power cord resembling the tail of a prey animal, which triggers their instinct to attack it. Canines chew to strengthen their teeth and gums or to relieve boredom or anxiety. People are not the only ones that can get a toothache. Pets also suffer from dental discomfort, which could result in them gnawing to alleviate pain. It could be stress, boredom or might be a medical issue. Here are a few tips to keep them from chewing cords and save them from danger.
How to Keep pets from Chewing Cords
If the cord chewing persists, take your pet to the veterinarian to assess and possibly diagnose a potential underlying condition.
Strategies you can follow to protect cords from your pet:
Cord Covers Prevents Pets from Chewing
Run them through PVC pipes or cover the cords in a protective wrapping such as rubber tubing. This covering will make it more difficult or impossible for your pet to damage the cords and also protect them from harm.
Other Methods to Combat Cord Chewing
If stress and anxiety is the root cause of this cord-chewing behaviour then get to the bottom of the cause, keep your pets entertained by providing them with proper attention. Offer your pet with alternatives such as cardboard, crinkly toys, or a small canine rawhide chew. Having a suitable and safe chew toy could divert their attention away from live wires.
Trust Electrician for Your Electrical Repairs
Whether the result of instinct, health issues, or emotional stress, a dog or cat chewing through your cords can damage your appliances as well as be dangerous to their health and yours. Don’t leave that potential danger lingering in your home. Call the licensed electricians at Inlightech who are experts in House electrical wiring, 0481 179 667 or request an appointment today to have damaged cords repaired or replaced.
Here are some other blog tips on safety guideline you can follow to conserve your environment
We also provide other services such as
- Electrical appliance Installation
- Power Upgrades in Perth
- Hard Wired Smoke and Fire Detector Installation in and around Perth
- Stove Install & Oven Elements
- Emergency lighting works in Perth
- Powerpoint Installs and Repairs
- Cabling Upgrades
- Air conditioning installation in Perth
- Office fit-outs in and around Perth
- Kitchen makeovers Perth
- Down-Lights & LED Lighting Installation & Upgrades
- Safety Inspections
- Switchboard upgrade in Perth
- 24/7 Emergency Electrician
- Outdoor power point installation Perth
- Ceiling Fan Installation
- Range Hood Installation
- Stove, Range and Oven Installation
- Perth Fan Installation
- Dimmer Light Switch Installations
- Exhaust Fans & Extractor Installation
- Electrical Outlet and GPO Installs
- RCD & Safety Switches Installation
- Fuse Box Install, Repair, Upgrades
- Cheap kitchen renovations Perth
- Electrical fault finding
- LAN, Phone and TV Cable Installs