An estimation of $1.6 billion in property is damaged each year due to electrical fires. What safety measures can be taken to prevent these accidents? They say “Ignorance is Bliss” but not when it comes to electrical safety. Electrical advancement has paved way for potentially life-saving devices that you need to install at your home or building. Here’s the 3-Ws list you need to know. The What, Why and Where you should Install AFCI and GFCI Outlets
Did you run an Electrical Safety Inspection at your home or business – Missing these crucial electrical safety devices?
Why do You Need GFCI Outlets?
Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) monitors electrical current, turning off an electrical circuit when it detects an imbalance – current flowing along an unintended path. GFCI comes in handy in areas where there is increased risk of shock due to electrical hazards, such as water. It is much like a small, extra-sensitive circuit breaker built right into an outlet to protect you against electrocution – even in outlets that are not grounded. GFCIs are currently required for use in:
- Laundry and utility rooms
- Crawlspaces and unfinished basements
- Wet bars
- The exterior of your home/business
- Spa and pool areas
Note: GFCI outlets are not for refrigerators, freezers, or other appliances, as they could trip without your knowledge.
Why and Where Should you Install AFCI Outlets?
Arc-fault circuit interrupters (AFCI) protect you from electrical dangers, but of a different variety – those that create heat via arcing. Installing AFCI Outlets helps in scenarios such as a rodent chewing on a wire, driving a nail through a wire, or a device overheating where it is plugged into the wall. The AFCIs detects this and shuts down outlets before damage can occur. Unlike GFCIs which are found in wall receptacles, AFCIs can be easily incorporated into your home or business’ main service panel in the form of specialized circuit breakers. AFCIs are required in:
- Any sleeping area: dens, foldout couches, etc.
- Laundry areas
Why you should upgrade outlets and breakers?
Old homes or building or business may not contain building codes that require to install of these outlets but it is mandatory for proper home safety. GFCIs and AFCIs are advanced outlets unlike regular outlets and circuit breakers are designed to protect the house’s electrical system, not people. AFCI and GFCI outlets are inexpensive and easy to install, why wouldn’t you want to protect yourself and others from the unnecessary electrical hazards?
“Better late than never” Don’t worry about how inadequately prepared for electrical hazards your home or business is? GFCIs and AFCIs are potentially life-saving devices so don’t get burned by ignoring the need for these inexpensive and safety ensuring outlets
Make an appointment now with your nearby Inlightech electrician for Electrical Installation Services and Upgrades
Check out the other services we provide such as
- Electrical appliance Installation
- Power Upgrades in Perth
- Hard Wired Smoke and Fire Detector Installation in and around Perth
- Stove Install & Oven Elements
- Emergency lighting works in Perth
- Powerpoint Installs and Repairs
- Cabling Upgrades
- Air conditioning installation in Perth
- Office fit-outs in and around Perth
- Kitchen makeovers Perth
- Down-Lights & LED Lighting Installation & Upgrades
- Safety Inspections
- Switchboard upgrade in Perth
- 24/7 Emergency Electrician
- Outdoor power point installation Perth
- Ceiling Fan Installation
- Range Hood Installation
- Stove, Range and Oven Installation
- Perth Fan Installation
- Dimmer Light Switch Installations
- Exhaust Fans & Extractor Installation
- Electrical Outlet and GPO Installs
- RCD & Safety Switches Installation
- Fuse Box Install, Repair, Upgrades
- Cheap kitchen renovations Perth
- Electrical fault finding
- LAN, Phone and TV Cable Installs