Carbon monoxide (CO) is difficult to detect and perhaps the most dangerous gas that can enter your home. It’s colourless, odourless and otherwise imperceptible without a carbon monoxide detector. It can cause a negative health impact even if the concentration level is low, especially on those with chronic illnesses, the elderly, young children and pregnant women. High-level exposure can cause permanent damage or even death in a very short period of time.
Here are the hidden dangers of carbon monoxide in your home and how to protect you and your family.
Carbon monoxide poisoning is caused from overexposure to CO gas, your condition is called. Every year about 8,000 to 15,000 patients are admitted to the hospital for treatment of non-fire related carbon monoxide poisoning. Sadly, an estimated 500 people die each year from accidental exposure to high levels of CO gas.
A high concentration of carbon monoxide can cause death, low concentrations of carbon monoxide are also dangerous because they can cause short-term symptoms and even lead to long-term health problems you may not associate with carbon monoxide exposure.
Short-term symptoms of CO poisoning are similar to that of the flu, including:
Higher concentrations of carbon monoxide can lead to these symptoms:
Exposed to carbon monoxide on a long-term basis in lower concentration levels can have varied symptoms in type and severity. Symptoms include:
Now you might be wondering why are appliances that can potentially leak this harmful gas kept inside the home? The fact is all combustion produces carbon monoxide and are mandatory appliances that you need to cook food, heat our homes and perform other tasks. They include:
Under normal circumstances, combustion appliances are either safely vented to the exterior or used outside, to begin with so carbon monoxide can dissipate harmlessly into the air. Appliances that produce carbon monoxide and does not have proper ventilation should never be used indoors. Cars that are parked idling in a closed garage or a generator used inside can produce lethal levels of carbon monoxide within 10 minutes.
You can ensure combustion appliances vent outside safely and only use unvented appliances outdoors, but you never know if a leak might develop. That’s why you should install carbon monoxide detectors. These devices sound an alarm when they sense an above-normal concentration of carbon monoxide.
It is ideal to install one CO detector on every floor of your home, or at least one right outside each sleeping area and one on the same floor as your gas furnace and water heater. The ideal place to fix a carbon monoxide detector is on or near the ceiling since carbon monoxide tends to rise with the hot air that contains it. Follow the manufacturer’s installation instructions and make note of the suggested replacement date.
If you need carbon monoxide detectors installed or old devices replaced, contact your nearby Inlightech electrician here at (08) 6383 8016 and make your appointment. Our professionals will help you select a suitable alarm and ensure ideal electrical installation locations for your family’s safety in your home
Our licensed electricians at Inlightech are ready to help with any electrical services and Electrical Installation Services that you may request.
We also provide other services such as
Inlightech provides the best service for air conditioner installation. The electricians worked at my convenient hours. For any electrical related problems, i would suggest Inlightech to be called
Great, timely and affordable service. Highly recommend for all Electrical installation works.